[Image Courtesy: www.designrelated.com]
Is your brand on twitter? Do you think there’s a need for a brand to be on twitter OR it could anyways be on Facebook and that’s it? Will twitter be the right marketing tool going forward? If these are the questions that keep coming to your mind and leave you in doubts, then you’re at the right place at the right time.
According to a recent study, India recorded the highest social networking growth of 37.4 per cent this year. If you still don’t know, brands (including your competitors) have already started using twitter as a new way to promote and connect with their target audience. So, here’s the big question: How do you succeed with Twitter or what is the right way to go-about on Twitter?
Following are some useful tips that will help you create a potential twitter marketing strategy for your brand and further help you accomplish your marketing goals.
- Firstly, define clear-cut objectives for twitter: Before engaging with your audience, ask yourself what do you want to achieve from this medium? Where does it fit into your marketing goals? What purpose does it solve? Is it my objective to gain 25,000 fans at the end of 6 months or, will it just act as a customer service tool? Will it be used for monitoring mentions of my brand, products & services or, it would just act as a secondary marketing platform to connect with my target audience? The answers to these questions will give a better direction to your twitter strategy and keep it focused on your core objectives.
- Define your twitter audience as much as you can: In India, audience on twitter is completely different from what it is on Facebook. The former has a much more evolved audience than Facebook hence, until & unless your brand completely targets people between 15-24 years, you should definitely have twitter as a tool in your social media marketing strategy.
- Keep it as an interactive / conversative medium: Twitter is all about conversations. It is not a one-way communication tool. Therefore, to maximize your reach and to make more people aware of your presence on twitter, interact with them as often as you can. To build conversations, make your content valuable to your audiences by sharing useful links and information based on their interests. This will not only help you connect with them, but will also engage them in insightful conversations.
- Follow people who have large number of followers and are relevant to your category: Don’t forget to use twitter tools to reach out to people who could act as influencers. Going forward, they could certainly help in spreading your message to their followers. This way, you are giving your brand a chance to get visible to their followers and hence encourage them to follow you.
- Keep coming up with small engaging contests: Indian audiences, as a whole, like contests and gratifications attached to them. Instead of having one exhaustive contest in a quarter or six months, try to have small contests from time to time. This practice would certainly help keep your audiences engaged and would also help your brand acquire more followers over a period of time.
- Be as transparent as you can: Admit upfront if you have committed a mistake. Never try to hide it. This will indeed cause a short-term embarrassment but, will eventually lead to build more trust among your twitter audience.
- Use it as a support system: Never ever hesitate to help your (potential) customers in case of any issues or queries. Remember, social media is always about two-way communication. Using Twitter to listen to customer queries/complaints is a great way to build trust for the brand. Many e-commerce companies like Myntra, MakeMyTrip, etc. are already doing the same and therefore a brand that is serious about social media shouldn’t ignore it as a tool to cater to customer queries.
- Include website links: Ultimately, everything boils down to the amount of business your company is doing. Therefore, it is very important to build and direct relevant traffic to your website. Although twitter should not be the only platform to build website traffic, rather it should be one of those platforms that could help in getting relevant traffic.
Follow these tips and you will witness a visible increase in your Twitter engagement rates and ultimately increase the yield of your social media marketing campaign. But, always remember, measuring success on Twitter has everything to do with goals, so make sure you’ve spent at least a little time figuring out what do you ultimately want to achieve.
Don’t forget to let us know in the comments below on how you or your company is using Twitter for your business. And, it would be great if you could also share some of the twitter campaigns you’ve liked.